A MESSAGE FROM FATHER JOSEPH
HOW WE WILL BE THE CHURCH MOVING FORWARD, as of March 18, 2020
In light of the rapidly changing landscape of the coronavirus, it is imperative that we remain the Church in prayer, connection, and service in creative ways
Know that the Episcopal House is our Command Central as we navigate these days.
My thoughts shared with and supported by the Vestry:
WORSHIP AND PRAYER
· Cease Sunday public gathering for worship for the time being while still being open for spiritual support for congregation and community
o Live stream an 8am Morning Prayer from the House on Sundays – 30 min
o Live stream a 10:30am Eucharist from the House- 45 min
o Post the recording on YouTube
o Send out an order for worship during the week electronically
o Send out links to the Book of Common Prayer and other Episcopal on-line offerings
o We will need to be aware of anyone who is not on social media and offer a Plan B (please share with our office so we can adapt to your spiritual and physical needs)
o (If anyone desires Eucharist, prayer, or connection they are welcome 7 days a week (Fr. Joseph is available always, even on Sundays)
· We will Zoom 7pm Lectio Divina and Compline every Wednesday from the House
· All other days there will be a 7 pm – 7:15 pm Zoom check-in and prayer requests for congregation and friends – led on a rotating basis
I want to make it clear that Holy Eucharist, prayer, and counsel is always available at the House along with prayer and support. Spiritual nourishment is the central offering in our faith community, and we must find ways to feed those who hunger for hope and belonging.
PASTORAL CARE FROM THE PRIEST
· I will connect to our community through phone, Zoom, text, and Facebook live stream – whatever it takes to meet people where they are
· On Thursdays, I will live stream a Jesus Java and Fr. Joe (or something to that effect) through both St. Matthew’s Facebook page and the Practicing the Presence Facebook group
· I will be present at our Pray Think Love House throughout the week and available for council and support in many and various ways
CARE FROM/FOR THE CONGREGATION AND COMMUNITY
· It will be imperative to grow a strong volunteer corps to serve in a number of capacities
· We will need a way to check-in and connect to everyone who calls St. Matthew’s home and even those who do not. There are already servant opportunities in the works to serve the most vulnerable in our community. Stay tuned.
· We will be creating ways to communicate with every member of our core community making sure that we touch base with one another weekly – stay tuned.
o Example: We will have a 15 min prayer request check each evening on Zoom
PLEASE REMEMBER TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR OFFERING OF TIME, TALENTS, AND TREASURES SO THAT WE CAN KEEP OUR MISSION GOING.
OUR MISSION IS CLEAR AND OUR MINISTRY HAS NEVER BEEN MORE FOCUSED.
STAY TUNED AS OUR FINANCIAL TEAM IS PUTTING TOGETHER MULTIPLE WAYS TO GIVE YOUR OFFERINGS DURING THIS TIME OF CREATIVE MISSION.